.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Monday, September 11, 2006

 

September 11th

I remember exactly where I was that day. I was at Mater Dei High School. We had just finished up in the weight room in gym, and had heard on the radio that “a plane” had hit the World Trade Center. At first, I thought it was just some drunken pilot in a private plane, and hoped that nobody in the building itself was hurt. Then, I walked into Mr. Rabuffo’s Advanced Biology class. The TV was on. It was at that point that I knew it was more than a drunken pilot. Then, we saw the second plane crash, and everyone in the room knew that it was a terrorist attack, that we were at war. Mr. Rabuffo turned the TV off, and said, “Folks, they can evacuate those buildings really quickly”, trying to calm us down. Then, an announcement came on the PA to turn all the TVs on. There were no classes that day. When the bell rang, we went into the classroom we were supposed to be in, very quietly, and watched the news (either channel 7 or 2; I forget which). There was a huge line to make phone calls. And it was a very quiet at dismissal; I had a very somber commute home.

May all the victims rest in peace.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?