.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Monday, July 24, 2006

 

Getting Old

In less than a month, I go to law school.

It’s dawning on me: I’m getting old. Maybe it’s law school, maybe it’s seeing Full House on Nick at Nite (“classic” TV), maybe it’s that Final Fantasy IV (II to me) is 15, but I am coming to the realization that I’m getting old. It seems like only yesterday I was at Oak Hill Academy, in my blue V-neck sweater, hurriedly finishing up my homework in homeroom, sitting through class, waiting for the final bell, then for Mom to pick me up and take me home, where I would play Super NES and go on AOL. I had no future but the weekend. I mean, I was aware, on an intellectual level, that I would grow up, but overall, it seemed that childhood would last forever.

To any kids reading this, I am going to give you some advice. I’m probably talking to the wall (Lord knows I wouldn’t have taken this advice, if I had read it back then), but here goes: Cherish your youth. Enjoy it while you can. Don’t try to hurry it along-it will hurry enough on its own. I guarantee you, whatever problems you have now, when you become 22, and struggle with financial aid, and loans, and bureaucracies, and moving out of you home, and have adult life looming large on the horizon, you will wish that you had only to daily slings and arrows of middle school to deal with.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?