.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sunday, November 13, 2005

 

Walking Around Campus During a Power Outage

1am

The lights go out

An outage

There’s no lightening-maybe it will come back on in a few minutes.

1:15

The lights are still off.

I guess we’re in this for the long haul.

I turn off my laptop, and get out the flashlight.

I pace around my room, looking for something to do.

No TV, no Internet, no video games, and I can’t even read effectively.

I glance out the window.

The stars do look beautiful, being unobscured by artificial light.

I think I’ll go have a closer look.

I put on a sweatshirt, shoes, and my coat.

I walk around-

Campus seems like a ghost town.

No street lights; only the emergency lights are on.

I look at the sky-

There are so many more stars-

For the first time, I can make out Orion’s Belt.

And the crowning glory-

The moon

A quarter moon

Almost full

It looks so beautiful.

Large, round, orange.

The bright stars; the brilliant moon-

Why can I not be happy with this?


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?